If your passport is lost or stolen you must report it to the Consulate General by making an application for a new passport and completing section 6 of the application form in the presence of a police officer. You are advised to do so immediately as remaining in Australia without a valid passport may give rise to difficulties with the local immigration authorities.
With a view to preventing identity theft and the circulation of falsified passports, there are additional safeguards for the passport application procedure for those adults seeking to replace a lost or stolen passport. From 17 January 2011, adult applicants in this category are required to submit the following additional evidence in support of their passport application:
- A completed and suitably witnessed passport application form and four photographs, (two of which must have the application form number written on the reverse and be signed by an approved witness);
- The Passport Service reserves the right to contact witnesses as required. Passport applicants should therefore note that where it is not possible to make contact with those witnessing applications, then it is likely that the application will be rejected;
- The long form birth certificate of the applicant and a civil marriage certificate, if appropriate, and evidence of entitlement to Irish citizenship, where applicable;
- Additional form of photo-identification; e.g. certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;
- Documentary evidence to show use of name, e.g. payslips; records of unemployment or disability payment; bank statement; college registration etc.; and
- Evidence of residency at the application address, e.g. utility bills; official correspondence from public or private sector etc.
The above-mentioned should be submitted in original format.
In addition, applicants may also be required to provide further information and/or attend for interview at one of the Department’s offices.
It should be noted that it will not be possible to expedite any application in these categories.
If you find an Irish passport, we would be very grateful if you could please return it to:
Passport Officer, Honorary Consulate of Ireland, 1/100 Terrace Rd, East Perth WA 6004